Wednesday 26 December 2012

'Twas the Day after Christmas



'Twas The Day After Christmas 
David Frank



'Twas the day after Christmas and all through the house 
Children sat slack-jawed, bored on the couch.


Wrappings and toys littered the floor, 
An incredible mess that I did abhor.


With Mom in her robe and I in my jeans, 
We waded in to get the place clean.


When suddenly the doorbell: it started to clatter, 
I sprang to the Security-View to check out the matter.


The new-fallen snow, now blackened with soot, 
Was trampled and icy and treacherous to foot.


But suddenly in view, did I gasp and pant: 
An unhappy bill collector and eight tiny accountants.


The door flew open and in they came, 
Stern-looking men with bills in my name.


On Discover, on Visa, on American Express, 
On Mastercard too, I sadly confess, 
Right to my limits, then beyond my net worth, 
OUer the top I had charged, in a frenzy of mirth.


The black-suited men, so somber, so strict, 
I wondered why me that they had first picked.


They stared at me with a look I couldn't miss, 
That said "Buddy, when are you for paying for this?"


I shrugged my shoulders, but then I grew bolder, 
Went to the cabinet and pulled out a folder.


"As you can see," I said with a smile, 
"It's bankruptcy that I'll have to file!" 
And with a swoop of my arm, my middle digit extended 
I threw the bills in the fire: the matter had ended.


The scent of burnt ash came to my nose, 
As up the chimney my credit-worthiness rose.


Without another word they turned and walked out, 
Got into their limos, but one gave a shout: 
"You may think that's the answer to all of your fears, 
But it's nothing you'll charge for at least seven years!




No comments:

Post a Comment